Martin Fulton (left) has been remanded in custody for breaching his bail. Photo: Heather McNeillThe 18-year-old man who kicked a security guard in the head at a youth festival has been sent to jail after breaching his bail conditions and leaving the country for a wedding weeks before he was due to be sentenced.
Martin Fulton in June pleaded guilty in Perth Magistrates Court to assault occasioning bodily harm and trespassing after he jumped the fence at the Good Life Festival on February 27 and kicked security guard Michael Rigby in the head as he was trying to restrain another man.
The incident was caught on video and went viral shortly after the festival.
Fulton was due to be sentenced on Tuesday but his lawyer revealed in court that the teenager had not completed his pre-sentencing assessment because he had left the country to attend a wedding with his family.
It was his fifth court appearance for the offence, with Mr Rigby and his supporters attending each hearing.
Outside court, Mr Rigby’s friend and fellow security guard Michael Riley said he was disappointed in the legal system that Fulton had been able to leave the country.
“This should never have happened… the case has gone on for far too long,” he said.
“[The assault] was one of the most horrific things I’ve ever seen… no bones about it, he could have quite easily killed him.”
Mr Riley said he hoped Fulton received prison time when he is sentenced on August 2, claiming he had shown no remorse for the incident, and had smirked at Mr Rigby and his supporters as they left court.
Previously, another of Mr Rigby’s friends, Shane Poulton told media outside court the 56-year-old had refused an invitation from a mediator to meet with Fulton for him to say sorry, because he believed any apology would be insincere.
“The whole time we’ve been in those court rooms, the last four times now, not once has he tried to apologise,” he said.
“It’s only since the lawyer’s been involved and he’s taken a plea that this has come through… obviously the lawyer felt the need to bring in this mediator to help smooth the waters or make it easier for him.
“It was a malicious act that he purposely intended to do – he admitted [on Facebook] that he was going to go there to attack security – so at no stage do we feel he is genuine or sincere that he wants to apologise.
“We won’t listen to it if we don’t believe it’s sincere.”
Fulton will complete a verbal pre-sentencing report while in custody and is due to be sentenced on August 2.
It is not the first time the teenager has had a run-in with the law.
In 2014, the then 16-year-old was dubbed the “Hazelmere party boy” after he hosted a wild shindig at his mother’s house that had to be shut down by police.
At the time, more than 20 police, mounted police and the dog squad were forced to close the party after some of the 200 revellers pelted police with bottles.
This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.